We replaced the existing Marseille roof covering with new Corrugated Colorplus roof sheeting. Colour: Thunderstorm. Giving this charming house in Wembley, Pietermaritzburg an updated and stylish new look.
Grace Roofing replaced the roof covering of this farm house, with new Corrugated Colorplus thunderstorm roof sheeting.
The work entailed. Strip and remove existing roof covering and battens. Replace with new timber purlins, foil underlay and corrugated roof sheeting. New barge capping and ridging. The project duration took approximately 12 days to complete.
We also supplied and fitted a new veranda. Constructed out of treated timber rafters, resting on a large laminated siligna beam supported by four 140 x 140mm saligna posts. Providing a perfect entertainment area.
The results were amazing. Completely transforming this home.
It is important that home owners maintain their roofs on a regular bases to help prolong the life of the roof and keep it water tight.
I have listed below a few of the basic roof maintenance tasks a home owner can do. This should be done at least once a year. A good time would be during the winter months. By doing this regularly once or twice a year the owner will become familiar with the overall condition of their roof, and foresee and budget for future repairs.
- Remove all moss, leaves, branches and other vegetation that has accumulated on the roof covering over the past 12 months, using a strong brush or broom, or a high pressure cleaner. The large growths of moss in between roof tiles prevent the efficient flow or run off of rain water from the roof and may lead to roof leaks on a low pitch roof.
- Clean all gutters and down pipes, removing any dirt and leaves. Especially valley gutters. This is a common cause of roof leaks below valleys
- Trim back overhanging branches from trees and bushes.
- Check overall condition of the roof covering. Cracked roof tiles, or faded roof sheeting, flashing around chimneys, roof sheeting screws and washes are free of rust. Check that roof screw washer rubbers are still in good condition.
- Check ridge tiles for cracks, or damaged cement mortar. Replace cement mortar, or (as a temporary measure) apply acrylic paint and membrane over ridge tile joints.
- Clean fascia, barge boards and gutters.
Try and complete your roof maintenance well before the summer rain.
Care must be taken when working at heights and on your roof. The moss buildup can be very slippery when damp.
It would be a good idea to rather call in a professional roofing contractor like Grace Roofing to assist with roof maintenance if the owner feels they are not capable.
Grace Roofing are happy to assist with any of the tasks listed above. Contact us for a quote.
Tel: 082 669 2554
Although Grace Roofing install new roofs and roof alterations, we also offer general roof repair services.
These may include but not limited to; roof leaks, flashing, cracked roof tiles, ridging, replace undertile membrane, replace roof sheeting, roof tile pressure cleaning.
Storm damage repairs, and insurance claims
We recently replaced the badly rusted roof sheeting to this lovely old farm house with new corrugated Colorplus SLATE roof sheeting.
We also installed a neat little lean-to roof above the front entrance.
Old faded roofs can be brought back to life with a little paint. Adding a fresh new look and colour back to your home.
Take a look as this concrete tiled roof, where we pressure cleaned the existing roof tiles, replace any cracked tiles, replaced the old faded barge boards and sprayed on a durable acrylic roof paint. This house now looks brand new again.
Very often our clients request that we simply replace their old rusted roof sheets for new. There are two pre painted hot-dip galvanised steel sheets that we commonly use;
– Chromadek which is manufactured by ArcelorMittal in JHB; and
– Colorplus which is manufactured by SAFAL Steel in Cato Ridge, Durban.
Both are equally suitable for our KZN climate. Colorplus has the advantage that it is manufacture locally, so is easier from a logistical point of view for KZN clients.
As this is a relatively big undertaking for a home owner, we recommend using this as an opportunity to replace the timber purlins (which if done during this process would be a smaller additional cost and would prevent a further expense at a later time).
The project duration for a standard 3 or 4 bedroom home will take approximately 5 to 10 working days, depending on the complexity of the roof. And the owner can remain living in the home during this time.
So in summary the scope of work is as follows:
- Remove existing roof covering
- Add additional bracing as required and install new timber purlins and foil underlay
- Install new roof sheeting, flashing and ridging
- Install new fascia boards
- Install gutters (by other)
We recently completed a roofing project in the Kamberg area. Replaced existing roof sheeting with new Chromadek traffic green sheeting. Also replaced purlins and underlay. Giving this little farmhouse a fresh new look.
We recently replaced the roof tile underlay ( waterproofing membrane) and battens on this old house in Winston Park.
Step 1: The roof tiles were carefully removed and pressure cleaned.
Step 2: Remove all battens, install new underlay and battens.
Step 3: Re-install cleaned roof tiles.
This project took approximately 5 days to complete. The roof was left water light at the end of each day, and the owner was allowed to remain in the house for duration of project.