Very often our clients request that we simply replace their old rusted roof sheets for new. There are two pre painted hot-dip galvanised steel sheets that we commonly use;
– Chromadek which is manufactured by ArcelorMittal in JHB; and
– Colorplus which is manufactured by SAFAL Steel in Cato Ridge, Durban.
Both are equally suitable for our KZN climate. Colorplus has the advantage that it is manufacture locally, so is easier from a logistical point of view for KZN clients.
As this is a relatively big undertaking for a home owner, we recommend using this as an opportunity to replace the timber purlins (which if done during this process would be a smaller additional cost and would prevent a further expense at a later time).
The project duration for a standard 3 or 4 bedroom home will take approximately 5 to 10 working days, depending on the complexity of the roof. And the owner can remain living in the home during this time.
So in summary the scope of work is as follows:
- Remove existing roof covering
- Add additional bracing as required and install new timber purlins and foil underlay
- Install new roof sheeting, flashing and ridging
- Install new fascia boards
- Install gutters (by other)